2) Sometimes I find that managed tables are not removed from HDFS even
after I drop them from the Hive shell. After a "drop table foo", foo does
not show up in a "show tables" listing however that table is present in
HDFS. These are not external tables.

I have noticed this as well. Sometimes this can be about the permissions of
the user that created the table. For example based on the UserGroupAll +
StickyBit a user might be able to create a table but another user might not
be able to drop them.

I had one weird issue where I could not drop a table as a different user
because one of the subdirs had a sticky bit and attempting to move the
sticky bit caused a failed file operation