Thanks Jeff.

Obviously Hive is much more feature rich compared to Spark. Having said that in
certain areas for example where the SQL feature is available in Spark, Spark
seems to deliver faster.

This may be:

1.    Spark does both the optimisation and execution seamlessly

2.    Hive on Spark has to invoke YARN that adds another layer to the process

Now I did some simple tests on a 100Million rows ORC table available through
Hive to both.

Spark 1.5.2 on Hive 1.2.1 Metastore

spark-sql> select * from dummy where id in (1, 5, 100000);

1       0       0       63
rMLTDXxxqXOZnqYRJwInlGfGBTxNkAszBGEUGELqTSRnFjRGbi               1
xxxxxxxxxx

5       0       4       31
vDsFoYAOcitwrWNXCxPHzIIIxwKpTlrsVjFFKUDivytqJqOHGA               5
xxxxxxxxxx

100000  99      999     188
abQyrlxKzPTJliMqDpsfDTJUQzdNdfofUQhrKqXvRKwulZAoJe          100000
xxxxxxxxxx

Time taken: 50.805 seconds, Fetched 3 row(s)

spark-sql> select * from dummy where id in (1, 5, 100000);

1       0       0       63
rMLTDXxxqXOZnqYRJwInlGfGBTxNkAszBGEUGELqTSRnFjRGbi               1
xxxxxxxxxx

5       0       4       31
vDsFoYAOcitwrWNXCxPHzIIIxwKpTlrsVjFFKUDivytqJqOHGA               5
xxxxxxxxxx

100000  99      999     188
abQyrlxKzPTJliMqDpsfDTJUQzdNdfofUQhrKqXvRKwulZAoJe          100000
xxxxxxxxxx

Time taken: 50.358 seconds, Fetched 3 row(s)

spark-sql> select * from dummy where id in (1, 5, 100000);

1       0       0       63
rMLTDXxxqXOZnqYRJwInlGfGBTxNkAszBGEUGELqTSRnFjRGbi               1
xxxxxxxxxx

5       0       4       31
vDsFoYAOcitwrWNXCxPHzIIIxwKpTlrsVjFFKUDivytqJqOHGA               5
xxxxxxxxxx

100000  99      999     188
abQyrlxKzPTJliMqDpsfDTJUQzdNdfofUQhrKqXvRKwulZAoJe          100000
xxxxxxxxxx

Time taken: 50.563 seconds, Fetched 3 row(s)

So three runs returning three rows just over 50 seconds

Hive 1.2.1 on spark 1.3.1 execution engine

0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> select * from dummy where id in (1, 5,
100000);

INFO  :

Query Hive on Spark job[4] stages:

INFO  : 4

INFO  :

INFO  : Status: Finished successfully in 82.49 seconds

+-----------+------------------+------------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------+----------------+--+

| dummy.id  | dummy.clustered  | dummy.scattered  | dummy.randomised  |
        dummy.random_string                 | dummy.small_vc  | dummy.padding  |

+-----------+------------------+------------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------+----------------+--+

| 1         | 0                | 0                | 63                |
rMLTDXxxqXOZnqYRJwInlGfGBTxNkAszBGEUGELqTSRnFjRGbi  |          1      |
xxxxxxxxxx     |

| 5         | 0                | 4                | 31                |
vDsFoYAOcitwrWNXCxPHzIIIxwKpTlrsVjFFKUDivytqJqOHGA  |          5      |
xxxxxxxxxx     |

| 100000    | 99               | 999              | 188               |
abQyrlxKzPTJliMqDpsfDTJUQzdNdfofUQhrKqXvRKwulZAoJe  |     100000      |
xxxxxxxxxx     |

+-----------+------------------+------------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------+----------------+--+

3 rows selected (82.66 seconds)

0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> select * from dummy where id in (1, 5,
100000);

INFO  : Status: Finished successfully in 76.67 seconds

+-----------+------------------+------------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------+----------------+--+

[...]

3 rows selected (76.835 seconds)

0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> select * from dummy where id in (1, 5,
100000);

INFO  : Status: Finished successfully in 80.54 seconds

+-----------+------------------+------------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------+----------------+--+

[...]

3 rows selected (80.718 seconds)

Three runs returning the same rows in 80 seconds.

It is possible that My Spark engine with Hive is 1.3.1 which is out of date and
that causes this lag.

There are certain queries that one cannot do with Spark. Besides it does not
recognize CHAR fields which is a pain.

spark-sql> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmp AS

         > SELECT t.calendar_month_desc, c.channel_desc, SUM(s.amount_sold) AS
TotalSales

         > FROM sales s, times t, channels c

         > WHERE s.time_id = t.time_id

         > AND   s.channel_id = c.channel_id

         > GROUP BY t.calendar_month_desc, c.channel_desc

         > ;

Error in query: Unhandled clauses: TEMPORARY 1, 2,2, 7

.

You are likely trying to use an unsupported Hive feature.";

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn

Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008

A Winning Strategy: Running the most Critical Financial Data on ASE 15

http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15",
ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN
978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-3-8

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one
out shortly

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com <http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/>

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this message
shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Technology Ltd, its
subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Peridale Technology Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees
accept any responsibility.