SQL plays an increasing important role on Hadoop. As of today Hive IMO
provides the best and most robust solution to anything resembling to Data
Warehouse "solution" on Hadoop, chiefly by means of its powerful metastore
which can be hosted on a variety of mission critical databases plus Hive's
ever increasing support for a variety of file types on HDFs from humble
textfile to ORC. The remaining tools are little more than query tools that
crucially rely on Hive Metastore for their needs. Take away Hive component
and they are more and less lame ducks.

Hive on MR speed was perceived to be slow but what the hec we are talking
about a Data Warehouse here which in most part should be batch oriented
and not user-facing and batch oriented. In Hive 0.14 and 2.0 you can use
Spark and Tez as the execution engine and if you are well into functional
programming, you can deploy Spark on Hive. If you look around from Impala
to Spark the architecture is essentially a query tool.

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com