You are correct. it  should not. There is nothing to optimise here.

0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default>
*select * from countries;*OK
INFO  : Compiling
command(queryId=hduser_20160321162726_7efeecbb-46ee-431f-9095-f67e0602b318):
select * from countries
INFO  : Semantic Analysis Completed
INFO  : Returning Hive schema:
Schema(fieldSchemas:[FieldSchema(name:countries.country_id, type:double,
comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_iso_code, type:string,
comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_name, type:string,
comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_subregion, type:string,
comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_subregion_id,
type:double, comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_region,
type:string, comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_region_id,
type:double, comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_total,
type:string, comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_total_id,
type:double, comment:null), FieldSchema(name:countries.country_name_hist,
type:string, comment:null)], properties:null)
INFO  : Completed compiling
command(queryId=hduser_20160321162726_7efeecbb-46ee-431f-9095-f67e0602b318);
Time taken: 0.047 seconds
INFO  : Executing
command(queryId=hduser_20160321162726_7efeecbb-46ee-431f-9095-f67e0602b318):
select * from countries
INFO  : Completed executing
command(queryId=hduser_20160321162726_7efeecbb-46ee-431f-9095-f67e0602b318);
Time taken: 0.001 seconds
INFO  : OK

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *