Hi Matt

So it looks like you are hitting the issue that I had mentioned previously.
You might need to apply the patch from HIVE-12893. Alternatively, if dt has
only one possible value then
its better to remove the constant value for dt and the where condition. This
will enable sorted dynamic partition optimization which
is more scalable when the number of combined partitioned count is huge.

What is the stripe size that you are using?

The reason why it is causing OOM for ORC is

ORC needs to buffer the incoming rows in columnar way before writing it to the
file. It buffers until configured
stripe size is reached and the entire stripe gets flushed. This is usually not
a problem when there few ORC writers.
When there are multiple concurrent writers then the available memory is shared
across all writers. In case of dynamic
partitioning, there will 1 writer per partition and per bucket in each
mapper/reducer.

 If there are 100 partition, 4 buckets, 25 columns then memory requirement will
be
100 * 4 * 25 * 5 (approx. number of internal streams per column) * 256KB
(compression buffer size).
This can get really huge if the number of partition increases. The way around
this memory requirement is to reduce
the number of orc writers. hive.optimize.sort.dynamic.partition sort the data
on partition column and bucket number
so there will be only 1 writer per mapper/reducer reducing the memory
requirement to 25 * 5 * 256Kb which is more
manageable. If this value needs to be further reduce, reduce the compression
buffer size.

Because of the bug outlined in HIVE-12893, in your case the optimization to
have single orc writer is not kicking in causing OOM.

Thanks
Prasanth

On May 2, 2016, at 3:30 PM, Matt Olson