Try this simple external table creation in beeline (check first that that
it connects OK)

*use default;drop table if exists trips;CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE `TRIPS`(
`bike_nr` string,  `duration` int,  `start_date` string,  `start_station`
string,  `end_station` string)PARTITIONED BY (  `year` int,  `month`
string)ROW FORMAT DELIMITED  FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','  LINES TERMINATED BY
'\n'STORED AS INPUTFORMAT
'org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat'OUTPUTFORMAT
'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat'LOCATION
'/test/text/trips';desc trips;!exit*

run the code
bl -f create_externat_table_trips.hql

No rows affected (0.018 seconds)
CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE `TRIPS`(
  `bike_nr` string,
  `duration` int,
  `start_date` string,
  `start_station` string,
  `end_station` string)
PARTITIONED BY (
  `year` int,
  `month` string)
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
  FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
  LINES TERMINATED BY '\n'
STORED AS INPUTFORMAT
  'org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat'
OUTPUTFORMAT
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat'
LOCATION
  '/test/text/trips'
INFO  : Semantic Analysis Completed
INFO  : Returning Hive schema: Schema(fieldSchemas:null, properties:null)
INFO  : Completed compiling
command(queryId=hduser_20160511001257_b2b612dd-d007-406d-a49c-83e8352a6ac1);
Time taken: 0.009 seconds
INFO  : Executing
command(queryId=hduser_20160511001257_b2b612dd-d007-406d-a49c-83e8352a6ac1):
CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE `TRIPS`(
  `bike_nr` string,
  `duration` int,
  `start_date` string,
  `start_station` string,
  `end_station` string)
PARTITIONED BY (
  `year` int,
  `month` string)
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
  FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
  LINES TERMINATED BY '\n'
STORED AS INPUTFORMAT
  'org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat'
OUTPUTFORMAT
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat'
LOCATION
  '/test/text/trips'
INFO  : Starting task [Stage-0:DDL] in serial mode
INFO  : Completed executing
command(queryId=hduser_20160511001257_b2b612dd-d007-406d-a49c-83e8352a6ac1);
Time taken: 0.028 seconds
INFO  : OK
+--------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+--+
|         col_name         |       data_type       |        comment        |
+--------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+--+
| bike_nr                  | string                |                       |
| duration                 | int                   |                       |
| start_date               | string                |                       |
| start_station            | string                |                       |
| end_station              | string                |                       |
| year                     | int                   |                       |
| month                    | string                |                       |
|                          | NULL                  | NULL                  |
| # Partition Information  | NULL                  | NULL                  |
| # col_name               | data_type             | comment               |
|                          | NULL                  | NULL                  |
| year                     | int                   |                       |
| month                    | string                |                       |
13 rows selected (0.13 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> Closing: 0:
jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *