This is your code

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM X
TABLESAMPLE(BUCKET 1 OUT OF 256 ON  action_id, classifier)
WHERE action_id='aaa' AND classifier='bbb'

Well I have a table dummy with 1 billion rows imported from Oracle as ORC
format

hive> show create table dummy;
OK
CREATE TABLE `dummy`(
  `id` int,
  `clustered` int,
  `scattered` int,
  `randomised` int,
  `random_string` varchar(50),
  `small_vc` varchar(10),
  `padding` varchar(10))

*CLUSTERED BY (  id)INTO 256 BUCKETS*ROW FORMAT SERDE
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.orc.OrcSerde'
STORED AS INPUTFORMAT
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.orc.OrcInputFormat'
OUTPUTFORMAT
  'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.orc.OrcOutputFormat'
LOCATION
  'hdfs://rhes564:9000/user/hive/warehouse/oraclehadoop.db/dummy'
TBLPROPERTIES (
  'COLUMN_STATS_ACCURATE'='{\"BASIC_STATS\":\"true\"}',
  'numFiles'='1',
  'numRows'='100000000',
  'orc.bloom.filter.columns'='ID',
  'orc.bloom.filter.fpp'='0.05',
  'orc.compress'='SNAPPY',
  'orc.create.index'='true',
  'orc.row.index.stride'='10000',
  'orc.stripe.size'='16777216',
  'rawDataSize'='0',
  'totalSize'='5662644579',
  'transient_lastDdlTime'='1463245925')

If I turn on the plan for the following two cases. First a simple case

hive>

*EXPLAIN SELECT COUNT(1) FROM dummy    >  where id = 20;*OK
STAGE DEPENDENCIES:
  Stage-1 is a root stage
  Stage-0 depends on stages: Stage-1
STAGE PLANS:
  Stage: Stage-1
    Spark
      Edges:
        Reducer 2 <- Map 1 (GROUP, 1)
      DagName: hduser_20160514181029_3deafc4c-30da-4113-a425-d8db8f63daeb:7
      Vertices:
        Map 1
            Map Operator Tree:
                TableScan
                  alias: dummy
                  Statistics: Num rows: 100000000 Data size: 5662644736
Basic stats: COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                  Filter Operator

*                   predicate: (id = 20) (type: boolean)  *
Statistics: Num rows: 50000000 Data size: 2831322368 Basic stats: COMPLETE
Column stats: NONE
                    Select Operator
                      Statistics: Num rows: 50000000 Data size: 2831322368
Basic stats: COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                      Group By Operator
                        aggregations: count(1)
                        mode: hash
                        outputColumnNames: _col0
                        Statistics: Num rows: 1 Data size: 8 Basic stats:
COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                        Reduce Output Operator
                          sort order:
                          Statistics: Num rows: 1 Data size: 8 Basic stats:
COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                          value expressions: _col0 (type: bigint)
        Reducer 2
            Reduce Operator Tree:
              Group By Operator
                aggregations: count(VALUE._col0)
                mode: mergepartial
                outputColumnNames: _col0
                Statistics: Num rows: 1 Data size: 8 Basic stats: COMPLETE
Column stats: NONE
                File Output Operator
                  compressed: false
                  Statistics: Num rows: 1 Data size: 8 Basic stats:
COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                  table:
                      input format: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat
                      output format:
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat
                      serde:
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe
  Stage: Stage-0
    Fetch Operator
      limit: -1
      Processor Tree:
        ListSink
Time taken: 0.064 seconds, Fetched: 51 row(s)

Now we try with tablesample but  assigning predicate values inside the
bracket as below because you are looking in bucket 1 for those values and
you want optimizer to know that.

*hive>  EXPLAIN SELECT COUNT(1) FROM dummy    > TABLESAMPLE (BUCKET 1 OUT
OF 256 ON ID = 10)*    > ;
OK
STAGE DEPENDENCIES:
  Stage-1 is a root stage
  Stage-0 depends on stages: Stage-1
STAGE PLANS:
  Stage: Stage-1
    Spark
      Edges:
        Reducer 2 <- Map 1 (GROUP, 1)
      DagName: hduser_20160514181029_3deafc4c-30da-4113-a425-d8db8f63daeb:10
      Vertices:
        Map 1
            Map Operator Tree:
                TableScan
                  alias: dummy
                  Statistics: Num rows: 100000000 Data size: 5662644736
Basic stats: COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                  Filter Operator

*                   predicate: (((hash((id = 10)) & 2147483647) % 256) = 0)
[...]

Otherwise I don't see much happening

hive>  EXPLAIN SELECT COUNT(1) FROM dummy
    > TABLESAMPLE (BUCKET 1 OUT OF 256 ON ID)
    > WHERE ID = 10;
OK
STAGE DEPENDENCIES:
  Stage-1 is a root stage
  Stage-0 depends on stages: Stage-1
STAGE PLANS:
  Stage: Stage-1
    Spark
      Edges:
        Reducer 2 <- Map 1 (GROUP, 1)
      DagName: hduser_20160514181029_3deafc4c-30da-4113-a425-d8db8f63daeb:13
      Vertices:
        Map 1
            Map Operator Tree:
                TableScan
                  alias: dummy
                  Statistics: Num rows: 100000000 Data size: 5662644736
Basic stats: COMPLETE Column stats: NONE
                  Filter Operator
                    predicate: (false and (id = 10)) (type: boolean)
                    Statistics: Num rows: 25000000 Data size: 1415661184
[...]

In general in my experience bucketing in ORC is the only area where ORC
tables come handy.

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *