From: Mich Talebzadeh [mailto:mich.talebza...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:31 AM
To: user <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Any way in hive to have functionality like SQL Server collation on
Case sensitivity

I would rather go for something like compare()
<http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc36271.1572/html/blocks/X14054.htm>
 that allows one to directly compare two character strings based on alternate
collation rules.

Hive does not have it. This is from SAP ASE

1> select compare ("aaa","bbb")
2> go
 -----------
          -1
(1 row affected)
1> select compare ("aaa","Aaa")
2> go
 -----------
           1
(1 row affected)

1> select compare ("aaa","AAA")
2> go
 -----------
           1

•  The compare function returns the following values, based on the collation
rules that you chose:

·         1 – indicates that char_expression1 or uchar_expression1 is greater
than char_expression2 or uchar_expression2.

·         0 – indicates that char_expression1 or uchar_expression1 is equal to
char_expression2 or uchar_expression2.

·         -1 – indicates that char_expression1 or uchar_expression1 is less
than char_expression2 or uchar expression2.

hive> select compare("aaa", "bbb");
FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10011]: Line 1:7 Invalid function 'compare'

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com<http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/>

On 24 May 2016 at 21:15, mahender bigdata