Hi All,

I am using HDP 2.3

- Hadoop version - 2.7.1

- Hive version - 1.2.1

I created a table dev101 in hive using

    create table dev101 (col1 int, col2 char(10));

I inserted two records using

    insert into dev101 values (1, 'value1');
    insert into dev101 values (2, 'value2');

I exported data to HDFS using

    export table dev101 to '/tmp/dev101';

Then, I created a new table dev102 using

    create table dev102 (col1 int, col2 String);

I imported data from `/tmp/dev10` in `dev102` using

    import table dev102 from '/tmp/dev101';

I got error:

>FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10120]: The existing table is not compatible
>with the import spec.   Column Schema does not match

Then I created another table `dev103` using

    create table dev103 (col1 int, col2 char(50));

Again imported:

    import table dev103 from '/tmp/dev101';

Same error:

>FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10120]: The existing table is not compatible
>with the import spec.   Column Schema does not match

Finally, I create table with **exactly same schema**

    create table dev104 (col1 int, col2 char(10));

And imported

    import table dev104 from '/tmp/dev101';

Imported Successfully.

Does hive need exact schema in Hive Export/Import? ?

Regards,
Devender?

NOTE: This message may contain information that is confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected by law. The message is intended solely for
the named addressee. If received in error, please destroy and notify the
sender. Any use of this email is prohibited when received in error. Impetus
does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee, that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors,
virus, interception or interference.