Hi,

there is another approach to reduce time for analyzing stats and that is
sampling, i.e. looking at the fraction of data. For example in Oracle one
can do that

EXEC
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_TABLE_STATS(ownname=>user,tabname=>'T1',*estimate_percent=>
50%*)

In general Hive statistics is pretty straight forward. This is because
unless a table is ORC and transactional then update/deletes won't happen.
Only new inserts for most of data (immutable).

My opinion on this is also mixed. Does not apply to Hive. Most RDNMS
provide something like datachange() function that recommends analysing
table if the underlying table size is changed.

I gather with Hive any new insert will trigger an automatic analyze stats.
new data coming in to an existing table with data does not imply lack of
quality statistics. If the distribution remain more and less the same for a
given column, updating statistics is not going to make that much
difference. I would rather spend more time on making external indexes
useful for the optimizer.

 HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *