have you configured your hive.site.xml to refer to the new metadata on
MySQL ?

Mine is on oracle

  <property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
    <value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@rhes564:1521:mydb12</value>
    <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
  </property>

and username and password

can you log in to MySQL database and look at table TBLS see if there are
any tables

Also look to see the connections there

2) Have you started the metastore connection

$HIVE_HOME/bin/hive --service metastore &

And also Hiver thrift server

$HIVE_HOME/bin/hiveserver2 &

be default they run on port 9083 and 10000

Can you see them

netstat -pltenp 'Local|1000|9083'

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh