A while back there was some notes on having Hive metastore on Hbase as
opposed to conventional RDBMSs

I am currently involved with some hefty work with Hbase and Phoenix for
batch ingestion of trade data. As long as you define your Hbase table
through Phoenix and with secondary Phoenix indexes on Hbase, the speed is
impressive.

I am not sure how much having Hbase as Hive metastore is going to add to
Hive performance. We use Oracle 12c as Hive metastore and the Hive
database/schema is built on solid state disks. Never had any issues with
lock and concurrency.

Therefore I am not sure what one is going to gain by having Hbase as the
Hive metastore? I trust that we can still use our existing schemas on
Oracle.

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *