“If we represent our data as delimited files” ….the question is how you plan on
getting your data into these parquet files since it doesn’t sound like your
data is already in that format….

If your data is not already in parquet format, you are going to need to run
*some* process to get it into that format…why not just use hive (running a
query on an external table) to perform the conversion?

“and Hive represents it as Parquet internally” That entirely depends on the
declared STORED AS format when you define the table.  The files backing the
hive table *could* be TEXT, sequence, RC, ORC, Parquet…  If you declared the
table to be backed by delimited text, you could format your data into standard
text files (not parquet) and then add the data to the hive table using LOAD
DATA.

So, why NOT use text data for the table storage?  There is no way to optimize
future queries against that data.

One hypothetical workflow assuming that your data is currently delimited….

You could either have a hive managed table, with the table data stored as
TEXTFILE using some delimiter based SerDe, and you could then use LOAD DATA to
put your original raw files into this table.   OR, you could use an external
table (not managed by hive) to point to the data wherever it currently resides.
 (The only difference between the two choices here is whether the original raw
files end up in ‘/user/hive/warehouse/tablename’ or the current HDFS path where
they reside.

From there, you could query FROM that temp table, INSERT into your final
destination table, and the data will be formatted according to the data
definition of your destination table.

If you want to (for whatever reason) use LOAD DATA INPATH to shove the original
data directly into your final destination table you must

1)      Ensure that the data is formatted into parquet files that are
compatible with the version of hive that you are running.   The parquet format
has been used by a number of different projects, unfortunately there are
different versions of parquet and it cannot be taken for granted that any
parquet file will be compatible with the version of hive you are using.
Testing and validation is required…see
https://github.com/Parquet/parquet-compatibility

2)      Parquet files have internal partitioning to them, but from hive’s
perspective, hive partitions will still be separated into individual
directories.  You’ll need to ensure that you properly split and partition your
data before using LOAD if you want hive to be able to find it again.

It doesn’t sound like your source data is currently formatted to match your
hive table formatting.  If you are already processing the data with a spark
pipeline and you just happened to set the output of that processing to be
delimited text and you can just as easily change it to something that is
compatible with your hive table….then that may make sense to do.  However, if
you are going to require a separate processing step to convert the data from
delimited text to hive-compatible parquet, I don’t see a reason to use any tool
OTHER than hive to perform that conversion.

LOAD DATA is generally used in situations where you *know* that the data format
is already 100% exactly compatible with your destination table….which most
often occurs when the source of the data is the raw data backing an existing
hive managed table (possibly copied/moved from a different cluster).