From: Furcy Pin <pin.fu...@gmail.com<mailto:pin.fu...@gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 01:25
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>"
<user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Options for connecting to Apache Hive

Hi Jacob,

Like Elliot and Alan said, cross-language exchanges seem to be handled using
Thrift, and there are some ODBC drivers too.
I didn't find a C library, even if they are python, ruby and nodeJS libraries.

Also, when Googling, beware not to confuse HiveServer1 (sometimes refered to as
Thrift Server) and HiverServer2.
For instance this page seem to show some Python Clients for HiveServer1
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveClient#HiveClient-ThriftC++Client

links for Python and Ruby clients are given at the end of this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Setting+Up+HiveServer2#SettingUpHiveServer2-PythonClientDriver

But beware that the python client has been deprecated and you have to jump a
few links to find the most recent one.

Anyway, I also wrote some productivity tool for Hive
(https://github.com/FurcyPin/flamy), which is only a Command-Line-Interface
for now, but I am currently working on making a GUI with Scala Play + ReactJS.
I believe it is hard to make a tool which is good for both PostgreSQL and Hive,
because despite being SQL-based, they have
different use-cases, different behaviors (Hive is generally much slower to
respond small queries) and different syntax.

If you decide not to spend time on adding Hive integration to your project,
perhaps you could redirect the users
that made that feature request to me. I would be happy to discuss their need
with them, and for now,
this is a one man project and I am mostly looking for users, so my work will
remain free and open source.

Regards,

Furcy