Indeed.

If I remember correctly, s3 does not really have the concept of "folder"
like HDFS has, and Hive sort of makes up for it by creating a descriptor
file
where the partition "folder" is supposed to be. Maybe this is what is
missing here.

Perhaps you could try doing a "MSCK REPAIR TABLE tablename" to make sure
that the partitions are correctly loaded and then try again dropping that
particular partition?

Or look at your s3 folder if you see any such "partition folder file" and
check if it is missing for this particular partition?