The standalone metastore released in 3.0 is the exact same metastore
released with Hive 3.0.  The only differences are in the install tool
'schematool' and the start and stop script.  Hive 3 is being used in
production a number of places.  I don't know if anyone is running the
metastore alone in production or not.

Alan.