Pig is in the same place as Spark, that the tables need to be compacted
first.  The issue is that outside readers don't understand which records in
the delta files are valid and which are not.

Theoretically all this is possible, as outside clients could get the valid
transaction list from the metastore and then read the files, but no one has
done this work.

Alan.