Hi Laurence,

It's hard to say just by seeing the graphs. Moreover Hive 2.3.1 is a quite
old version so there are many things that may go wrong.

I would suggest checking the logs and taking jstacks overtime and/or use a
profiler (such as async-profiler[1]) to see what HS2 is actually doing
while CPU usage grows.

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://github.com/jvm-profiling-tools/async-profiler