Wow.  Outstanding.  Thanks so much for the reply.  It did bring about almost
an order of magnitude improvement!  I tweaked the settings a bit more so I
ended up using 10000 (instead of 50000) for the delete history.

The new setting for IGNITE_ATOMIC_CACHE_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE brought down the
total heap to ~420MB (60% reduction from 1GB).  And after applying the
setting for affinity it came down to ~200MB, which is perfectly acceptable.
I will do a bit more tuning but we're where we want to be in terms of heap
footprint already.

The final question then is, where can I find more documentation about what
these settings do and what they really control so we can understand the
potential side-effects/cons of using these non-default settings.

Again, thanks so much for your prompt reply and help!

<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/n3691/ignite_cache_node_heap_timeline_new_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE.png>

<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/n3691/ignite_cache_node_heap_timeline_new_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE_and_AFFINITY.png>