Kevin, we are facing similar issues. And the reason is not ignite using up
the heap, its the data you load from the database that takes up so much
memory until it makes it to the cache. We see a lot of heap usge after start
up and then if we perform a GC the memory on each node drops by at least 4
GB.

The way we are loading the data from the database is only running the
loadCache on the final node (we call it Initiator) and others are called
joiners. the joiners do not go to the database and only initiator does. But
initiator calls ignite.compute on the server nodes so that data is loaded
parallely like we want. the joiners are started first and have no data
other joiner nodes and itself. hence DB queries are performed only once, but
in parallel.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks,
Binti