If the transactions are PESSIMISTIC/REPEATABLE_READ and both are executed in
parallel then the chances are high that one transaction will be blocked by the
other because one of them will hold a lock on the key.

In case of OPTIMISTIC/SERIALIZABLE transaction a TransactionOptimisticException
may be generated for one of the transaction and you will need to re-execute it
from scratch.

Hope this makes things clearer for you.

—
Denis