Thanks Andrew,

The same thing happened again today. Clearly the key is locked, we get the
timeout exceptions. But prior update to the same has not thrown any
exceptions. Suddenly one update fails with timeout exceptions and we are
notified due to those exceptions that the key is locked.

We will upgrade to 1.8, but in the meantime is there a way to free up this
locked key using some code?

We try killing nodes, but we have one back up and it looks like the lock is
carried over too, which would be the right thing to do.

Outside the transaction we can read this key (dirty read). This is becoming
an issue for us, since its a production system and the only way to free up
is to restart the cluster.

Please point us in a direction where we can avoid this or free it up.

Thanks,
Binti