Getting rid of all locking would be great.   Assuming my read of the code
is correct, and the locking is just to make sure the value does not change,
I was thinking of a sub optimization for my specific problem ( there being
very few unique keys in the cache ) . Loop through the cache in reverse
order ( most recent entry first ) and look at a key but only lock it if it
is the first time you see the key.  Any time you see a duplicate key you
could ignore it without getting a lock, since you already have a more
recent value.  For the case where there are lots of updates to the same key
this would eliminate a lot of the locking.  In the interim we have solved
this issue by buffering the writes to this key in our code ( effectively
our own collation ).