Hi Jeff!

There is a workaround for the problem of huge discovery messages.
Try changing IgniteConfiguration.includeProperties
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/ignite/configuration/IgniteConfiguration.html#getIncludeProperties()>
parameter to an empty array. It will make Ignite filter out all environment
variables.
It should improve node connection time in your case.

Add the following lines to IgniteConfiguration in your XML:
<property name="includeProperties">
    <array></array>
</property>

Denis