Thanks Andrei, adding quotes and realizing that case matters made all of the
difference.

I did read the documentation around this but my impression was that a
connection via JDBC should be case insensitive and that does not appear to
be the case.  From the documentation:

/For instance, if test was set as a username then:

You can use Test, TEst, TEST and other combinations from JDBC and ODBC.
You have to use TEST as the username from Ignite's native SQL APIs designed
for Java, .NET and other programming languages./

I took that to mean that since I am connecting via JDBC that the username is
case insensitive.  Am I just misunderstanding?