Hi,

I’ve been reading through this page (
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/write-ahead-log) on WAL files in Ignite.

I’d like to understand what the purpose of the WAL archive is. I understand
from the documentation that the WAL archive contains data that has been
checkpointed, and so safely committed to the cache partition files.

It seems to be optional in that it is possible to not have one by setting
the WAL active and archive paths to be the same location. The documentation
recommends doing this if ingest volumes mean time spent copying WAL files
to the archive can cause node freezes.

Is the WAL archive used in recovery operations when an Ignite node
restarts? Is there a downside to not having WAL segments archived?

Thanks,

Raymond.