Yep, that sounds right.

The primary ways to load data into Ignite from another source are
a custom cache store or a data streamer.

Data streamer will mostly outperform cache stores for initial/periodic data

Cache stores are good when you need to sync data between Ignite and backing DB
(read-through/write-through/write-behind), and when you want to quickly start
using Ignite
on top of an existing DB with minimal code.

WebConsole’s generated project isn’t supposed to be an optimal solution, it’s
supposed
to be an easy one that allows one to start quickly.
When you start looking into what’s really going on inside the cache store, you
can see
that there is a lot of things how it could be optimized but it’s all depends on
the exact model/data.
For example, you need to somehow split your queries so that each node only
loads a entries which it
will be storing (i.e. use affinity key in the queries to the backing DB), and
then split them more
to allow loading with multiple threads per node – you can do this in a generic
way.

It’s probably possible to find out what’s exactly going on with the cache store
in your case and tune it,
but a completely custom cache store, or just a small client with data streamer
running near the DB
is likely to be perform better anyway.

Stan