Folks, let me copy and paste a section from the new docs GridGain is
working on and will launch soon. That section compares thick vs thin
clients. Hopefully, it clarifies a lot.

*Ignite/GridGain clients come in several different flavors, each with
various capabilities. Thick and thin clients go beyond SQL capabilities and*
*support many more APIs. Finally, ORM frameworks like Spring Data or
Hibernate are also integrated with GridGain and*
*can be used as an access point to your cluster.*

*Let's review the difference between thick and thin clients by comparing
their capabilities.*

**Thick* clients (aka. standard clients) join the cluster via an internal
protocol, receive all of the cluster-wide*
*updates such as topology changes, are aware of data distribution, and can
direct a query/operation to a server node*
*that owns a required data set. Plus, thick clients support all of the
Ignite and GridGain APIs.*

**Thin* clients (aka. lightweight clients) connect to the cluster via a
public TCP/IP protocol with a well-defined*
*message format. This type of client supports a limited set of APIs
(presently, key-value and SQL operations only) but*
*in return:*

*- Makes it easy to enable programming language support for GridGain and
Ignite. Java, .NET, C++, Python, Node.JS, and*
*  PHP are supported out of the box.*

*- Doesn't have any dependencies on JVM. For instance, .NET and C++ _thick_
clients have a richer feature set but*
*  start and use JVM internally.*

*- Requires at least one port opened on the cluster end. Note, that more
ports need to be opened if*
*  partition-awareness is used for a thin client.*

--
Denis Magda