The use case is having a local cache that stores most widely used cache
items in memory on server instead of having the network expense of pulling
them down every time they are requested.  The main thing is the near cache
has to support removing cache items that have expired on the server.

The best use case I have is a web application that needs a cache item per
request.  we would not want to pull the cache item from the cluster every
request.   It would be way more efficient for the thin client to have a
near cache that would hold "hot" cache items that are requested frequently.