It turned out if I inject a pause of 4-5 seconds, then the client
connection goes through.
Why the service grid requests go through  immediately but the regular cache
access requires a pause from the time an ignite instance is acquired?
Subsequent calls are fast. The caches are replicated.
Another question, probably trivial:
Can you instantiate multiple concurrent connections from a client to the
compute nodes? Is the number of connections limited by the number of
threads? Or do I need to create separate client instances for each request?