Steve,

Actually, disabling WAL is a good option for your use case. Checkpoint
mechanism is the same with disabled WAL, the only difference is that node
is not writing WAL to the disk on each operation. Usually, it might make
sense to disable WAL for initial loading - when you can lose the data in
case of failure and start data loading again. Four your use case, if you
don't care about restore, you can just disable it:
https://www.gridgain.com/docs/latest/developers-guide/persistence/native-persistence#disabling-wal

Best Regards,
Evgenii