Manesh,

>> When running a large SELECT from a thick client node,  could data be
>> fetched from the backup instead of primary partitions?

readFromBackup=true affects only cache operations, it doesn't work with SQL
queries.

>> in a two server system, if readFromBackup = False for a cache, and if one
>> server fails,
would 2nd server stop serving client requests since some partition data is
in the backup?

no, it will go on serving requests, former backup partitions will turn into
primary

>> is it possible that readFromBackup=True and Primary_Sync mode for a cache
>> could give inconsistent data for cacheMode Replicated in a 2 server node?

there's no need to explicitly use readFromBackup with replicated caches.
What do you exactly mean by "inconsistent data"? Could you please describe
your scenario?

>> if I increase backup= 10, in a 2 server system, would it mean that there
>> are 10 backups.
I am guessing, ignite would keep a single back up on each server, not 5 and
5 on each server.
a new backup is created for that cache for any new node joining the cluster.
is this right understanding?

Yes, that's correct.