Ok so I figured out the issue. I'm getting a class cast Exception.

The cache in the application is declared as <String, Integer> when I use
the REST API to put a value. I guess it changes the value to String and my
application catches the error. Well it's actually swallowing the error but
I can fix that.

My question now would be, if using the HTTP REST Api, can we specify the
type of the value when doing a put?