I might be missing the question, but that's what working for me out of the
box, by deploying jbehave with maven artifact.
You need following dependency:

<dependency>

 <groupId>org.jbehave.site</groupId>

 <artifactId>jbehave-site-resources</artifactId>

 <version>${jbehave.site.version}</version>

 <type>zip</type>

 </dependency>

And then you need for your jbehave-maven-plugin add following execution:

  <execution>

   <id>unpack-view-resources</id>

   <phase>process-resources</phase>

   <goals>

   <goal>unpack-view-resources</goal>

   </goals>

   </execution>

That's it. It results in target/jbehave directory to get images and css etc
in my case.

Or were you asking about customization of all this?

Regards,

Alex Filatau.