From: Hans Schwäbli [mailto:bugs.need.love....@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:24 AM
To: user@jbehave.codehaus.org
Subject: Re: [jbehave-user] Support for dynamic variables?

I see. So there is no use looking for a existing JBehave feature for this.

I meant dynamic variables which are set and used at runtime. There are cases
where one has to automate tests on non-deterministic test data (I mean the data
of the application under test).

A "life cycle" of these variables might be an issue in future. Currently I
cannot tell you a real world use case for it. But I think there might be the
need to configure the scope of such dynamic variables to be existing per
stories, per story or per scenario. This would require a close integration into
JBehave execution procedure.

The easiest could be to store the variables for the whole execution and to
clear them if needed in steps annotated with @BeforeStory for instance.

I have to think a bit on how I could solve this in a suitable and good way.

2013/10/31 Mauro Talevi
<mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org<mailto:mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>>
Typically you would define an API to access these variables.   This is
something that you cannot really generalise.

If on the other hand you know these variable at execution time, you could pass
them as system properties in the jbehave maven goal or ant task.