It is hard to say. technically, all you know is that the read-back
didn't operate. If a command failed directly following that (ex. an
elastic ip didn't attach), it could explain why. We assume this is
timing related, and something that eventually resolves (perhaps in
order of seconds or less).

I know I'm not saying much, just that I don't know if there would be a
problem, just that if there were a problem, you could tell AWS that
preceding it, the affected instances failed a readback.

If you are concerned about the sudden flare-up, you could ask about
it. Ex. this is a readback after runInstances. Before, you'd be able
to, now you don't. ask them if there's some behavioral change we
should know about?

Hope the rambling helps :)
-A