Kevin, I tested and confirmed that atmos, aws-s3, and azure use headers
to authenticate and cloudfiles-us and hpcloud-objectstorage use query
string parameters.  Can you file a JIRA issue for the lack of support
for aws-s3?  Also, would you like to try patching this and sending
jclouds a pull request?  This feature only requires small changes to
AWSS3BlobRequestSigner and if you drop by #jclouds on irc.freenode.net I
would be happy to help you.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/