I've used this one, since JMeter 2.3, I think:
onload.expandtree

and its one of the few things I configure when installing a new version.
People who create large trees in scripts know why its needed. But I'm
probably in the minority and know the GUI keyboard shortcuts to achieve the
same, so I wouldn't miss it.