You could use an If Controller as a root element, inside Test Plan, with
the expression ${__threadNum()} <= ${maxThreads} . maxThreads property must
be defined in every JMeter slave initialization or using a -J parameter in
master's. Having this property set per slave is a good option if your
distributed environment is heterogeneous.