It seems more practical, to me, to develop your test plan in an environment
where you have the support of the UI. Then move your test plan (.jmx) to
the ubuntu machine and invoke that test with -n (headless) and the other
logging params etc. so that you can review your results from that context.

I'm sure it's possible to initiate a jmx file without the benefit of the
UI, but you'd only approach doing so from a place of general mastery with
JMeter (my opinion).

Hope that helps.

Mark