Hi,
Just to update on this.
I will not create a bugzilla as it wasn't the root cause of my original
issue as well as I am not sure it is an issue with JMeter core.
I can only reproduce those warning messages while using the Ultimate Thread
Group from JMeterPlugins.

For the record:
To reproduce - create a new testplan with single Ultimate Thread Group
element.
Set it to start 1 thread (or more) and let it run for 1 second (or more).
In that thread group create a Critical Section Controller.
In that Critical Section Controller create a Debug Sampler.
Run it and get this error:
WARN  - jmeter.control.CriticalSectionController: Lock global_lock not
released in:Critical Section Controller, releasing in threadFinished

-Test Plan
--Ultimate Thread Group
---Critical Section Controller
----Debug Sampler