Two ideas

1
If you are testing with a limited number of certificates:
You could manually prepare one (or more) ocsp response file with openssl,
then use the normal HTTP Sampler to POST that request

openssl ocsp -issuer <ca certificate> -cert <your certificate to be tested>
-reqout <the file you will POST>

2
I have a couple of test plans with OS Process Sampler and assertion. I use
"Text Response" in "Field to Test"
Make sure you use "Contains" if you need a regex in "Pattern to test", I
think "Substring" will not expand the regex

best,
Ivan