Hi
That is the JMeter behavior. You have different ways to get this to work
a. Designate one JVM server to be the "single thread" server that runs the
test by a property that is only on that server , wrap the test step  in an
IF
b. Designate  one server to be the "single thread" server that runs the
test by passing in a command line parameter that indicates which server
needs to run it , wrap the test step in an IF that checks if this is the
matching server
(-GsingleThreadServer=ValueThatIsSpecificToOneServerLikeIPAddress)
c. Sophisticated distributed semaphore (E.g. a DB) - Every server tries to
obtain a lock - The one that succeeds gets to run the test , the ones that
fail , ignore it and carry on (e.g. insert the same row into a temp table
with a primary key defined , there can only be 1 winner)
But it might not be worth it

regards
deepak