On 25/3/19 8:05 pm, Brian Burch wrote:
On 9/3/19 5:54 am, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
The Apache JSPWiki team is pleased to announce the release of JSPWiki
2.11.0.M2.

This is the second release towards the 2.11 series of Apache JSPWiki, a
feature-rich and
extensible WikiWiki engine built around the standard JEE components. M#
releases are as
production-ready as any other JSPWiki release, please see [#1] to know how
this label
is used on Apache JSPWiki releases.

The release is available here:
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Downloads

JSPWiki Maven artifacts are available under org.apache.jspwiki groupId,
version 2.11.0.M2

The full change log is available here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310732&version=12343994

A curated change log is also available here:
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=NewIn2.11

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved visit the project website at
http://jspwiki.apache.org/

The Apache JSPWiki Team

[#1]: https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=VersioningProposal

The M3 git source passed "mvn package" perfectly, so I was strongly tempted to simply vote +1, and perhaps that is good enough?

However, I have been going round and round for 2 days, and it is driving me nuts!

I've been following the instructions on:-

https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Getting%20Started

.. using my new M3 war, but renamed to PingTooTest.war.

I even cleared out tomcat's work directory from previous jsp compilations! I don't have a custom-properties or simple user database, because I want Install.jsp to do all that for a vanilla install.

I won't bore you all with the 15 or more variations I have tried, because hardly anything changes and nothing changes for the better.

The errors start as follows:-

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.wiki.util.PropertyReader).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info. 2019-03-25 18:34:13,614 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO org.apache.wiki.WikiEngine  - ******************************************* 2019-03-25 18:34:13,619 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO org.apache.wiki.WikiEngine  - JSPWiki 2.11.0-M2 starting. Whee! 2019-03-25 18:34:13,630 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO org.apache.wiki.WikiEngine  - Servlet container: Apache Tomcat/8.5.37 2019-03-25 18:34:13,649 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO org.apache.wiki.WikiEngine  - JSPWiki working directory is '/tmp/tomcat8-tomcat8-bb-tmp/JSPWiki-254568133' 2019-03-25 18:34:14,960 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR org.apache.wiki.pages.DefaultPageManager  - An I/O exception occurred while trying to create a new page provider: org.apache.
wiki.providers.CachingProvider
java.io.IOException: Failed to create page directory /var/lib/tomcat8-bb/jspwiki-files , please check property jspwiki.fileSystemProvider.pageDir

What's with the "M2 starting whee"?? My snafu, or cutting the new version?

I thought Install.jsp was going to build the pageDir once I told it what I wanted. It shouldn't matter whether there is a permissions problem until I've told it where to put the directory!

Me... or you?

+1 or -1?

Puzzled and trying hard to be helpful to the project, as well as myself,

Brian

Answering my own questions with great satisfaction and relief! I woke at 0400 (Queensland time) and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and beat the problem into submission.

1. I was probably building from the wrong git tag, so I started from scratch yet again (--branch 2.11.0-M3-RC2). Now I see:-

2019-03-26 06:06:19,322 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO org.apache.wiki.WikiEngine - JSPWiki 2.11.0-M3 starting. Whee!

2. I read the initial error message and stack trace about the missing pageDir VERY carefully and realised Install.jsp is trying to create a pageDir OUTSIDE its own container, and BEFORE it has asked the user where to put it! (probably a bug),

 i.e.

2019-03-26 05:42:01,934 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR org.apache.wiki.pages.DefaultPageManager - An I/O exception occurred while trying to create a new page provider: org.apache.wiki.providers.CachingProvider java.io.IOException: Failed to create page directory /var/lib/tomcat8-bb/jspwiki-files , please check property jspwiki.fileSystemProvider.pageDir

3. So I created jspwiki-files in the "wrong" place, chowned it to tomcat, and Install.jsp ran successfully.

4. AFTER the Configure step, but BEFORE I stopped tomcat (Getting Started instructions), I made a safe copy of the /tmp directory. This is because I have my own custom systemd service for tomcat, which causes the temporary directory to be erased when tomcat is stopped. The safe copy contained jspwiki-custom.properties as expected.

4. The announcement email for M3-RC2 has the wrong subject, i.e. Apache JSPWiki 2.11.0.M2, which confused me a lot when I went back to my own email to tell eveyone that my issues were understood.

To summarise, I am considerably enlightened! I now have a vanilla wiki and am very confident I can move forward with my own customisation process.

However, what does everyone think? I see two options...

a) Vote -1 and wait for M3-RC3?

b) Vote +1 and open a couple of JIRAs. I can fix the Getting Started instructions myself.

HTH,

Brian