This config below in jspwiki-custom.properties works for me now, at
least it writes the log, will see in some days, if it indeed rolls.
Unfortunately log4j2 chose not to have a common prefix and thus a
namespace for their property names, so it is kind of messy.

# Give directory path where log files should get stored
property.basePath = /home/wiki/JSPWiki

# RollingFileAppender will print logs in file which can be rotated
based on time or size
appender.rolling.type = RollingFile
appender.rolling.name = fileLogger
appender.rolling.fileName= ${basePath}/jspwiki.log
appender.rolling.filePattern= ${basePath}/jspwiki_%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log.gz
appender.rolling.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.rolling.layout.pattern = %d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} %level
appender.rolling.policies.type = Policies

rootLogger.level = info
rootLogger.additivity = false
rootLogger.appenderRef.rolling.ref = fileLogger