Yeah, the RBAC support that's there now is quite pluggable. You can
basically use anything to set the roles in the current
javax.security.auth.Subject. Currently JAAS is one way to do it, but
you can also do it using other technologies and/or use your own custom
roles (instead of the Karaf built-in RolePrincipal).

Additionally, the ACLs are defined using OSGi ConfigAdmin. The Felix
ConfigAdmin implementation that's used in Karaf is already pluggable
in the sense that you can provide alternative sources of the
configuration, but if that isn't enough you can also provide a
ConfigAdmin facade over whatever technology you like to use to provide
the ACLs...

Best regards,

David