By the way, Karaf 3.0.0 and 2.4.0 introduce KARAF_ETC (for the location of the configuration files). I introduced it for the deb, rpm, and Ubuntu Juju charms that I'm preparing.

the main difference is about root and other instances.

KARAF_HOME is shared between the instances whereas KARAF_BASE is local
to an instance.
As the lib should be shared by the instances, the right should be
${KARAF_HOME}/lib/ext. For the root instance, it doesn't matter.