I have gotten farther.  I can now install the various pax features that
were failing yesterday.

However, to really test this, my full application needs a bunch of other
features and bundles.  So I've attempted to just replace Pax Web 3.1.0 with
4.0.0-SNAPSHOT in all the various features and dependencies we have, but
all of that ends up installing and trying to
start org.apache.karaf.http.core which appears to specifically preclude
using 4.0.0 as I get this error:

Could not start bundle
mvn:org.apache.karaf.http/org.apache.karaf.http.core/3.0.1 in feature(s)
http-3.0.1: Unresolved constraint in bundle org.apache.karaf.http.core
[99]: Unable to resolve 99.0: missing requirement [99.0]
osgi.wiring.package;
(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.ops4j.pax.web.service.spi)(version>=3.1.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))

I can try to build up what I need from a vanilla Karaf instead of trying to
replace Pax Web in our full install, but not sure if that will be
successful or not.

Kevin