I'm having the same problem connecting to a local process.

I've started up a fresh install of Karaf 3.0.1 and run jconsole and pick
the org.apache.karaf.main.Main local process and get the message about a
secure connection failing, but proceed with the insecure connection.  It
appears to connect but the console shows no statistics like for Vinu.

However, if I use a remote connection and use

service:jmx:rmi://0.0.0.0:44444/jndi/rmi://0.0.0.0:1099/karaf-root

Then it all works ok, albeit with the same secure connection failing
message.  Is there an issue with the local process connection?