I guess our main concern right now is risk - we're currently working on a
minor point release, and our only reason for upgrading there is to have full
Java 8 support. Would it be much riskier to upgrade to 3.0.2?

I recall that when we previously tried upgrading to Karaf 3.0.1, there were
some significant problems - the console was completely broken on Java 8, and
Karaf would always copy all the system bundles to the user's .m2 repository
(we do not want it touching that, nor making extraneous copies of bundles).
As such, we went with Karaf 2.3.5 as these issues did not occur there, and
our application will at least start on Java 8 (though some Karaf
functionality is still broken). Does Karaf 3.0.2 fix these problems?